by Gerald C. Weinberg on Wed, 2009-07-01 15:48
MDA was founded as, and remains today, a grassroots fundraising organization. The overwhelming majority of dollars raised for MDA are through community-driven events.
It’s the amazing additive effect of these many local events that make it possible for MDA’s ALS Division to fund quality research and services programs.
Among the many community-organized special events around the country in the past year were:
- The ffair in Dallas
- All in for ALS Tournament in Houston
- Augie’s Bash in Southern California
- Augie’s Golf, Food and Wine Extravaganza in Newport Beach, Calif.
- Champions of Hope in Los Angeles
- Evening of Hope in Westboro, Mass.
- Night of Hope Gala in Atlanta
- Phil Villapiano Field of Hope Gala in Long Branch, N.J.
- A Gift of Time St. Patrick’s Day Bash in Denver
- Tradition of Hope in Los Angeles
- Wings Over Wall Street in New York City
Events such as these and many others across the country, large and small, combine to continue MDA’s quest for a cure. They are vital to advancing the fight against ALS.
MDA is deeply grateful to committee members everywhere who lead these events for their hard work and dedication to raising funds for our ALS research and services programs. It’s thanks to such community fundraising that one day this battle will be won.
Around MDA, we have a saying, born of experience: Working together, we can make it happen. Fundraising committee members are living proof that this is so.
Gerald C. Weinberg is MDA President & CEO. For more information on the committees of the events listed here, please visit www.als-mda.org/help/2009events.html. To learn about launching an MDA event in your area, please contact your local MDA office at (800) 572-1717.